It’s easy to participate in the Maryland Supplemental Retirement Plans (MSRP). You can get started right away.
Not ready to sign up yet? Get more info about how deferred comp works and what your options are first.
If you're not already investing for retirement, it's time to get started. Your pension and Social Security benefits may not provide enough retirement income for you to live the way you want to in retirement.
With MSRP, you decide when, where and how much to invest. And that's just the beginning — here are four more reasons why it's smart to participate in MSRP:
- You can start anytime — MSRP will work for you whether you're approaching retirement or just getting started saving. This is because time and compounding work together to build momentum for your money. The sooner you start, the more you could have at retirement.
- Something is better than nothing — Even a little bit of savings can really add up over time. And if you continue to bump up contributions on a regular basis, the overall impact to your paycheck may not seem too painful. Consider putting raises or bonuses into MSRP — it’s an easy way to save a little more.
- Use the Future Value Calculator to see how much retirement savings you could have at retirement
- MSRP is made for you — Unlike other retirement plans, MSRP takes into account that you may retire sooner than workers in the private sector. So you don’t have to worry about paying a penalty for retiring or beginning to take income from the plan before age 59½.
- Service you can count on — MSRP and Nationwide are ready and willing to answer your questions. We’ve been helping public sector employees save for retirement for more than 30 years and our Team MSRP Retirement Specialists have helped educate thousands of employees about investing through their retirement plans. Feel free to call today — we don’t charge a fee to work with a Retirement Specialist.
Read more about why MSRP is right for you.
Get the help you need
The sooner you enroll, the more you can save. Take a look at the Enrollment Checklist for tips on what you'll need to have handy and enroll today.
MSRP includes a wide range of investment options to meet your retirement planning needs. To view the fund profiles and prospectuses click the View fund performance button. Once you verify your employer and select your retirement plan, you can click the Prospectus and Fact Sheet links to view fund performance information.
Keep in mind that investing involves market risk, including possible loss of principal. As you get started in the plan, we’ll help you understand market risk and strategies that may help you deal with it.
If you get stuck when choosing which funds are right for you, we’re here to help. We offer different levels of assistance so you can get the help you need.
Investing with MSRP is easy as ABC. You decide how to invest, which depends on how much involvement you want to have in choosing investments.
A. Do-it-yourself; Your own strategy
You define your investment goals and strategy and select funds from MSRP’s full spectrum of investment choices. You can create your investor profile using our Asset Allocation Tool to help you choose. Opt for automatic rebalancing to keep investments in line with your goals. You spend the time and discipline to manage your own investments.
B. One and done; Retirement Funds from T. Rowe Price*
Pick one Retirement Fund and you’re done. You invest in one fund closest to the year in which you expect to retire or take a distribution. The fund is managed, automatically rebalanced, and designed to become gradually more conservative as the selected date approaches. Signing-up is easy using the EZ enrollment form — just tell us who you are, sign it and we’ll do the rest!
C. Go Pro; Nationwide ProAccount®**
A managed account service designed to help take the guesswork out of investing. MSRP investment options are selected by professional investment managers based on your age and risk tolerance, then monitored and adjusted to keep on target with your goals. Wilshire, a leading provider of investment products and services, actively manages your account, including periodic rebalancing, according to the information you provide. You pay for this service through an additional asset management fee deducted from your account balance each quarter. Please see the ABC Flyer for a listing of the fees.
Get the help you need
If you need more help, contact one of our Team MSRP Retirement Specialists. Information provided by Retirement Specialists is for educational purposes only and not intended as investment or legal advice.
* T. Rowe Price Retirement Income Funds: Retirement Funds are designed to provide diversification and asset allocation across several types of investments and asset classes, primarily by investing in underlying funds. Therefore, in addition to the expenses of the Target Maturity Funds, an investor is indirectly paying a proportionate share of the applicable fees and expenses of the underlying funds.
Target Maturity Funds are designed for people who plan to withdrawal funds during or near a specific year. These funds use a strategy that reallocates equity exposure to a higher percentage of fixed investments over time. Like other funds, target date funds are subject to market risk and loss. Loss of principal can occur at any time, including before, at or after the target date. There is no guarantee that target date funds will provide enough income for retirement at any time, including before, at or after the target date. There is no guarantee that target date funds will provide enough income for retirement or that asset allocation, diversification or any investment strategy will assure a profit or avoid losses.
** Investment advice for Nationwide ProAccount is provided to plan participants by Nationwide Investment Advisors, LLC (NIA), a SEC-registered investment advisory. NIA has retained Wilshire Associates Incorporated as the Independent Financial Expert for Nationwide ProAccount. Wilshire Associates Incorporated is not an affiliate of NIA or Nationwide.
It only takes a few minutes to sign up. Here are some things you'll need:
- Your employer's name or employer's ID
- Your Social Security number
- Your annual income
- To know which plan you’re starting with. See our comparison chart for an easy list of similarities and differences
- Contribution amount
- Investment selections
- Read about your investment options.
- Beneficiary names and Social Security numbers
Get the help you need
We'll even walk you through it. If you need more help, contact one of our Team MSRP Retirement Specialists. Information provided by Retirement Specialists is for educational purposes only and not intended as investment or legal advice.
MSRP allows State employees like you to put aside money from each paycheck toward retirement. MSRP can help bridge the gap between what you have in your pension and Social Security, and how much you’ll need in retirement.
Here are some answers to questions you may have about MSRP:
- What sets MSRP apart from other retirement plans? Unlike a traditional savings account, when you participate in MSRP, your contributions are taken directly from your paycheck and made before taxes are withheld (except with Roth options), potentially lowering your taxable income now.
- What does tax-deferred mean? Basically, you don’t pay income taxes on your MSRP contributions or earnings until you retire and/or begin to take payments from your account. This may lower your taxable income now.
- Can I afford to save for retirement? You can't afford not to – and since you can choose to make contributions that aren’t taxed now, contributing to your plan could have less of an impact to your take-home pay than you expect. Use the Paycheck Impact Calculator to see how saving will affect your paycheck.
- How much should I put in my account? If you're unsure, you can use our tools and Learning Center to help decide how much to contribute, what funds to choose and how to use your money when you retire. To see the big picture of how much income is needed in retirement, use the Interactive Retirement PlannerSM.
- Can I combine retirement accounts? Our Team MSRP Retirement Specialists will work with you to combine, or consolidate your eligible retirement accounts into MSRP. This may make managing your retirement investments a little easier.
Keep in mind that investing involves market risk including possible loss of principle.
Get the help you need
The sooner you enroll, the more you can potentially save. Take a look at the Enrollment Checklist for tips on information that you'll need to have handy for enrollment and enroll today!
Once you enroll in the MSRP, you’ll want to set up online access so you can view account details 24/7. We offer convenient, secure account access with encryption and firewall protection.
Here are some things you can do once you have online access to your account:
Manage your account
- Check your account balance
- Update your personal information
- Review and update your beneficiaries
- Get current and past statements
Manage your money
- Verify your contribution dates and amounts
- Change how much you contribute
- Change how your money is invested
- Review available investment options, see fund performance and research funds
- Sign up to have your account automatically rebalanced every quarter (Automatic Asset Rebalancing or AAR)
Get the help you need
If you need help setting up online access, we’ll walk you through it. Contact one of our Team MSRP Retirement Specialists.